Hi there East Side yogis! After being away for the summer months i’m back with two more interviews. One being with a new addition to East Side Yoga and this one here being with a tried and true ESY teacher and studio owner, Steven Ross. Thank you Steven and Elsa in opening and holding this beautiful space for us to practice. You have impacted many lives for the better in the process 🙂
* What would you say is the intent or purpose of going to yoga class? Yoga is a process of creating good health for your whole being. The physical body’s challenges are overcome through asana, the vital body is purified through breath (pranayama) the senses draw inwards and then we have a chance for inner health (peace) then you may take control of our well-being literally. that to me is very exciting!
* Could you explain how your Slow Flow class differs from other Hatha flow classes? The light-hearted answer is, it means we flow slowly. The method of hatha yoga I teach is called Vinyasa-krama (movement and sequence) utilizing slow ujjayi breathing synchronized with movements. So, each student practices 5 second inhale and exhale, this seems deceptively easy at first, but once you break into more advanced postures it can be quite challenging.
* If your students left your class having learned one vital piece of information, what do you hope that would be? the ability to control and slow the breath. “breath is the center of yoga practice because breath is the center of your life and yoga is about life” Yoga master -T.Krishnmacharya
* Can yoga be a spiritual practice? – of course, the Himalyan yogis weren’t sitting in caves all day so they couldadvanced postures , their dedication was towards Self-Realization, absorbing through meditation with higher Self and and being at one with the Universe. But that’s not for everyone and yoga recognizes that so its perfectly fine to take care of the body and be in good physical health, if that’s where it ends for you, cool.
* Is there a place for gratitude in yoga? for sure! be grateful to yourself for taking the time to get to know your Self!
* What is Pranayama? literal translation to control the vital force, prana being the life energy in the body we access it through breathing exercises. Many profound Hatha yogis consider this the pinnacle of Hatha yoga.
* What would be your perfect Austin day? early morning meditation at Zilker park, brunch with people watching at Bouldin Creek, check out a class at ESY and take a long walk with my Elsa.
* What do you like most about East Side Yoga?
that’s a tough question, just kidding. the sense of community, when class ends and folks come out, there is a sweet vibe here, people are talking teachers are connecting, its a great feeling makes my heart smile 🙂